It’s a whirlwind morning across Asia as Korean news media reported Song Joong Ki has filed for divorce from Song Hye Kyo on June 26. The star studded couple met on the set of 2016’s mega hit K-Drama, “Descendants of the Sun” (太陽的後裔) and were rumored to be dating, but they denied it at the time. The two shocked the world when they announced they were getting married on July 7, 2017. They had a star- studded wedding on October 31, attended by many stars, including Zhang Ziyi. However, after a year of marriage, rumors of discord started plaguing them when Song Hye Kyo was seen in public without her wedding ring.
Both parties issued their own statement today.
Song Joong Ki:
“Hello everyone. I am Song Joong Ki. First all, I want to apologize to everyone who loves me for delivering the bad news. Song Hye Kyo and I are currently going through the process of divorce. Instead of two people pointing fingers at each other and blaming who was wrong, we much rather harmoniously resolve the divorce agreement. Please understand we cannot divulge all the details of our private lives. In the future I will come out from this pain. I will repay everyone with my best efforts as an actor.
Song Hye Kyo:
First off, I regret making everyone seeing the bad news. Actor Song Hye Kyo and husband, after careful consideration, have decided to divorce. Reasons for divorce is due to two people’s difference in personalities. Both parties were not able to overcome each other’s differences. In the end, they had to make this decision. Aside from this, other details are both parties’ private lives. Please understand we won’t be able to explain further. In addition, in consideration for both parties, please refrain from leaving speculative messages and inciting clickbait headlines and the such. I am very sorry to have bothered everyone. From here on, we will show everyone an even better version of ourselves. Thank you.”
Timeline of the “Double Song” relationship
- Dating rumors start after “Descendants of the Sun airs
- Song Joong Ki invites Song Hye Kyo to his Asia fan meeting tour in Chengdu, China
- Song Hye Kyo shows support for Song Hye Kyo’s film, “The Battleship Island”
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo were rumored to be living in the same hotel room in Bali. Both management companies denied the rumors
July 5, 2017
- Both parties make wedding announcement, reveal wedding date on October 31, 2017
October 31, 2017
- Wedding is held in Seoul
December 10, 2017
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo make first public appearance since wedding at IU’s concert
- Song Joong Ki attends an award ceremony. When asked about his newlywed life with Song Hye Kyo, he said, “Originally, it would’ve been better if the both us came, but because she had a special schedule, so her husband is here to represent her.”
- Netizens bump into the “Double Song” couple attending a wedding in the US.
From here on, rumors of marital discord were spread. Song Hye Kyo had changed her profile picture on social media and deleted some pictures. Both parties were seen without their wedding rings.
- Both parties refute divorce rumors claiming “Reports are not true. We will not be individually responding to this anymore.”
- Online rumors stating Song Joong Ki was cheating on Song Hye Kyo with her make up artist and good friend. Later on, Song Hye Kyo posted pictures of her traveling with said make up artist, seemingly to refute the rumors.
- Song Joong Ki attends a press conference for his new series and says, “There isn’t too much change after marriage, but my mind is more stable.” He also revealed Song Hye Kyo had cheered him on while he was flming.
June 27, 2019
- Song Joong Ki files for divorce from Song Hye Kyo
Credit: hk.on.cc, ETtoday.net, Weibo (1, 2)